Inspiring Young People
The airport is a diverse, fast paced and truly exciting workplace and we have great pleasure in inviting numerous students to join us for an action packed week each year.
East Midlands Airport was awarded the Business in the Community regional award for ‘Work Inspiration’ for its work experience programme in 2013.
The 2016 Programme
2016 will offer two programmes: Travel and Tourism and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths). Both programmes are mainly observational, however students may be assigned small projects (information gathering and research, written pieces etc) to help them gain an understanding of how the departments work together to make the airport operate. This will give students plenty of time to ask questions, and an understanding of some of the many varied roles that are available at East Midlands Airport.
This year we will be holding an interview stage which will enhance student's knowledge of the job selection process.
As you may expect, placements at the airport are limited and highly sought after, so if you are interested in applying for a placement, please read the guidelines below:
- Applicants must hold a valid passport or the placement cannot go ahead.
- Students must be 15 years of age or over at the time of their placement.
- The airport can accept two students per month, one for each placement type.
- The placements can take place between March and November 2016 for one week, Monday - Friday only.
- Placements will not take place in a week which includes a Bank Holiday.
- Placements are geared towards Year 10 and 11 requirements, however older students may also apply.
- Priority will be given to schools and colleges nearest the airport.
- Successful applicants are only chosen after the deadline date for their chosen month.
- Applications must be with the airport before the deadline date for the chosen month to ensure that they are considered.
- You must complete a 2016 application form to be considered for a placement.
- Please note students are responsible for their own travel arrangements and expenses.
- Students will be required to arrive at the relevant department on time and appropriately dressed. A detailed timetable will be supplied to successful applicants.
- Please use the correct postage for your application envelope.
- Students will not be contacted until after the deadline date for their chosen month, as to whether they have been successful or not.
Programme One – Travel and Tourism
This programme is a week long opportunity focusing on the Travel, Tourism and customer facing roles of the airport.
The 2016 programme will include time in a variety of Travel and Tourism related departments which may include:
- Passenger Assistance
- Escape Lounge (the airport's Executive Lounge)
- Car Parks
- Hotel Hospitality
- Flight Check In.
Programme Two – Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths
This programme is a week long opportunity for students with an interest in Science. Technology, Engineering or Maths.
The 2016 programme will include time in a variety of STEM related departments which may include:
- Car Parks
- Health and Safety
- Air Traffic Control
- Airfield Operations.
|Work experience month||Application deadline||Students will be notified at the latest by|
|March 2016||1 January 2016||31 January 2016|
|April 2016||1 February 2016||29 February 2016|
|May 2016||1 March 2016||31 March 2016|
|June 2016||1 April 2016||30 April 2016|
|July 2016||1 May 2016||31 May 2016|
|August 2016||1 June 2016||30 June 2016|
|September 2016||1 July 2016||31 July 2016|
|October 2016||1 August 2016||31 August 2016|
|November 2016||1 September 2016||30 September 2016|
Please complete the new 2016 application form to be considered.
Please send your completed application form to:
Work Experience Programme
East Midlands Airport
T: 01332 818414