M1 Junction 24 / A50 Approach Economy Scheme
Works are currently underway to improve the capacity and traffic flows at M1 Junction 24.
There will be a series of closures on the approach routes to M1 junction 24 until early in
2015. Updates will be given as work progresses. Diversion routes will be signed including
directions for non-motorway traffic.
Passengers and staff travelling to and from East Midlands Airport should allow extra time for
their journeys during this work, particularly if they have a flight to catch. For real time traffic
information visit www.highways.gov.uk/traffic.
Carriageway and lane closures at M1 Junction 24 are 8pm to 6am unless otherwise stated.
M1 Junction 24/A50 carriageway & lane closures week commencing 13 October 2014
- Closure of A50 eastbound carriageway between Warren Lane junction and M1
Junction 24 between Monday 13th and Saturday 18th October.
- Closure of A50 westbound lane 2 between Monday 13th and Friday 17th October.
- Additional lane closure at junction on A453 northbound at junction 24, M1 on
Monday 13th and Tuesday 14th October.
- Offside lane closure to A453 northbound between Monday 13th and Friday 17th
- Closure of the inner ring of the east, west and north quadrants of junction 24
between Monday 13th and Friday 17th October (21:15 to 05:00 Friday night only).
- Closure of the west quadrant of junction 24 outer ring between Monday 13th and
Tuesday 14th October.
- Closure of south bridge outer ring at junction 24 between Monday 13th and
Friday 17th October (21:15 to 05:00 Friday night only)
- Closure of M1 northbound exit slip road at junction 24 between Monday 13th and
Saturday 18th October (21:15 to 05:00 Friday night only).
- Closure of the M1 southbound exit slip road additional lane at junction 24
between Monday 13th and Thursday 16th October
- Closure of southbound exit slip road lanes 1 & 2 at M1 junction 24 on Friday 17th
October (21:15 to 05:00 Friday night only).
- Closure of the south bridge and the A453 southbound carriageway overnight on Sunday
19th October. Southbound traffic to the airport and westbound traffic will be diverted to
junction 23 and then to junction 23A.
A50 carriageway closures week commencing 29th September 2014
- The A50 eastbound carriageway continues to be closed for five nights a week, Monday to
Friday for five weeks (until the end of October), between the Warren Farm Junction at J24A
and Junction 24.
- Customers are advised to follow “Non Motorway Traffic” diversion (through Castle Donington
village) to avoid travelling northbound to M1 J25, then proceeding southbound to M1 J24.
Please note: 7.5 ton vehicle weight limit restriction through Castle Donington
- The A50 westbound carriageway will be closed overnight, five nights per week from 27th
October. This will remain in force until the end of the year. A50 westbound traffic will be
diverted to M1 Junction 25 and then to Junction 24A for the A50. At this time closure of the
A50 eastbound will cease.
Further information on the scheme is available by following this link: http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-projects/m1-j24-a50-approach-economy/