Preparation For Work at East Midlands Airport
If you think that you might be suited to a career working in a fast paced, 24 hour operation and are interested in a role within one of the many areas of business including logistics, retail, catering, car parks, security, hospitality or customer service, baggage handling, ramp agents, airlines then you may be the perfect candidate for East Midlands Airport.
At the Airport Academy we offer a free two week pre-employment training programme designed to help you get the skills you need for employment with East Midlands Airport.
Airport Academy Eligibility
- Candidates must be aged 19 or over
- Currently unemployed and claiming Job Seekers Allowance
- Hold a valid passport, EEA or relevant visa
- Able to provide a fully checkable 5 year history
- A flexible attitude to working hours
- Confident when working in a busy working environment
- Able to travel to East Midlands Airport
If you meet all of the eligibility criteria and are interested in attending the Airport Academy either speak to your Jobcentre Adviser or email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about referral to the next assessment session.
The assessment sessions currently take place every three weeks and are an opportunity for you to find out more about working life at the airport. You will also be required to undertake and pass literacy and numeracy assessments in order to be invited to attend the Airport academy training course.
The Airport Academy training course runs for two weeks, Monday to Friday from 9am until 4pm. Daily attendance in compulsory in order to complete the course. The course includes:
- An introduction to East Midlands Airport and an overview of the employers that are based on the airport site
- Customer service level 1 qualification
- An understanding of the requirement needed to apply for an airport security pass and preparation of 5 years checkable history required by all airport employers
- Interview techniques and mock interviews
- Team building exercises - to help build confidence and understanding teamwork
- CV and cover letter writing and support with job applications
- Communication – written and verbal, body language, communicating with customers and colleagues
In addition the Airport Academy staff work with each candidate during and after completion of course to help match them with the right employment opportunities at the airport and to support them through the interview process.