Inspiring Young People
The airport is a diverse, fast paced and truly exciting workplace and we have great pleasure in inviting numerous students to join us for an action packed week each year.
East Midlands Airport was awarded the Business in the Community regional award for ‘Work Inspiration’ for its work experience programme in 2013. With a broad range of student interests, we have extended our work experience programme to incorporate two placement types.
The 2014 Programme
Programme One – Travel and Tourism
This programme is a week long opportunity focusing on the Travel, Tourism and customer facing roles of the airport. The programme will give students an understanding of the varied roles within the Travel and Tourism sector that are available at the airport.
The 2014 programme allows students to spend time in some of the following departments (subject to change or operational requirements):
- Information Desk
- Reception duties and administration
- Passenger Assistance
- Surface Access
- Hotel Hospitality
- Flight Check In.
Programme Two – Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths
This programme is a week long opportunity for students with an interest in Science. Technology, Engineering or Maths. The programme will give students an understanding of some of the varied roles that are available at the airport.
The 2014 programme allows students to spend time some of in the following departments (subject to change or operational requirements):
- Retail Operations
- Car Parks
- Air Traffic Control
- Airfield Operations
- Fire Station.
Both programmes are mainly observational, however, students may be assigned small projects (information gathering and research, written pieces etc) to help them gain an understanding of how the departments work together to make the airport operate. This will give students plenty of time to ask questions.
As you may expect, placements at the airport are limited and highly sought after, so if you are interested in applying for a placement please read the guidelines below:
- Applicants must hold a valid passport or the placement cannot go ahead.
- Students must be 15 years of age or over at the time of their placement.
- The airport can accept two students per month, one for each placement type.
- The placements take place between April and October 2014, for one week, Monday - Friday only.
- Please do not choose a week including a Bank Holiday.
- Placements are geared towards Year 10 requirements; however older students may also apply.
- Priority will be given to schools and colleges nearest to the airport.
- Successful applicants are only chosen after the deadline date for their chosen month.
- Applications must be with the airport before the deadline date for the chosen month to ensure that they are considered.
- You must complete a 2014 application form to be considered for a placement.
- Please note students are responsible for their own travel arrangements and expenses.
- Students will be required to arrive at the relevant department on time and appropriately dressed, a detailed timetable will be supplied to successful applicants.
- Please use the correct postage for your application envelope.
- Students will not be contacted until after the deadline date for their month, as to whether they have been successful or not.
|Work experience month||Application deadline||Students will be notified at the latest by|
|Not applicable||Not applicable||Not applicable|
The 2014 programme is now closed. Details of the 2015 programme and new application form will be available later on in the year. Please do not use the old 2014 form for 2015 applications.
Please send your completed application form to:
Work Experience Programme
East Midlands Airport
If you have any queries please call 01332 818414.