Jet2.com’s Maiden Voyage to the Big Apple
- Leading leisure airline celebrates East Midlands Airport’s first flight to New York
17 November 2011: There were big celebrations this morning as Jet2.com celebrated the take off of the first ever flight to New York from East Midlands Airport.
Customers from the region checking in for the special direct Christmas shopping flight to the iconic US city were treated to an American-style send off as cheerleaders and members of the Derby University American Football team led the party. Jet2.com and East Midlands Airport gave excited customers the red carpet treatment, serving breakfast bagels and champagne before passengers boarded the early morning flight.
The leading leisure airline celebrated its first year at the airport in May this year and in the short time has doubled its presence with two aircraft and 15 city and sun destinations. Further expansion is planned for 2012 with a third aircraft which is expected to bring an additional 50 jobs to the region.
Ian Doubtfire, Managing Director of Jet2.com, said: “The fantastic celebrations today show how delighted we are to be the first company to operate a New York flight from East Midlands Airport. It is a reflection of how much we have achieved in just over eighteen months since we started flying from the region.
“Our New York shopping trips have been very popular from both our Leeds Bradford and Newcastle bases, so it’s great to be able to bring this to the people of the East Midlands. Local passengers have been calling for this route since we arrived and we have responded with a flight, perfectly timed to take a Christmas shopping trip.
Stephen Turner, Commercial and Marketing Director East Midlands Airport, said: “Today marks a significant day in the airport’s history. For the first time, passengers from the East Midlands region have been able to fly direct to New York from their local airport.
“We have received incredible support for this flight from the region and we remain committed to working closely with Jet2.com to secure the destinations that our passengers want.”
For further media enquiries, images or interview please contact the Jet2.com press office on 0113 243 1355 or email email@example.com
Notes to editors:
1. Jet2.com has eight Northern bases, serving: 40 sun, ski and city destinations from Leeds Bradford International; 36 from Manchester; 23 from Newcastle; 14 from East Midlands; 13 from Belfast International; 16 from Edinburgh; 8 from Blackpool and 16 from Glasgow.
2. Jet2.com has scooped a number of other prestigious awards including: 2010 British Travel Awards for Best Trade Booking Website (Flights) – Bronze Award. 2009 Passenger Airline of the Year; 2009 Best Travel Internet Booking System, 2009 Best Passenger Airline, 2008 Best UK Short-Haul Airline; 2006 & 2007 ‘Best European Short-Haul Airline’; the world’s most punctual airline into Amsterdam Schiphol; the 2005 ‘Best Online Booking Service’ of any UK airline; and the favourite British low cost airline from both Holiday Which? and Wanderlust magazines.Jet2holidays- 2010 British Travel Awards - Best Tour Operator to the Iberian Peninsula & Canary Islands – Bronze Award.
3. Jet2holidaysis ATOL protected meaning that holidays are protected by a financial guarantee provided by the CAA and is ABTA bonded.
4. Jet2.com is a subsidiary of Dart Group plc, the aviation services and distribution group, which has 30 years’ commercial aviation experience.
Published on: 17/11/2011 14:57:48