East Midlands Airport supports a number of local charities and organisations through a variety of methods.
The East Midlands Airport Community Fund was established in April 2002 and since then over £740,000 has been pledged to a whole range of initiatives which aim to bring lasting benefit to the communities around the airport.
The Community Fund is managed independently by a Community Fund Management Committee that meets six times a year, and is open to community groups within a defined ‘area of benefit’ that meet certain criteria.
The Fund is currently supported by an annual donation of £50,000 from the airport and through the fines imposed when aircraft exceed our strict noise limits. The Community Fund awards grants to support eligible projects that have a long-lasting community and/or environmental benefit and can award a maximum of £2,000 per application.
In order for an application to be successful it must meet at least one of the following objectives:
- To bring the community closer together through facilities for sport, recreation and other leisure time activities.
- Offer environmental improvement and/or heritage conservation.
- Improve awareness of environmental issues through environmental education.
- Encourage and/or protect wildlife.
Has your application:
- Been completed on the form provided, answering all questions fully in the spaces provided on the form before adding extra pages?
- Described the project in a clear and concise way?
- Been carefully costed with a full breakdown? (You must supply company estimates or quotes including visuals supporting all the items in your application.)
- Enclosed all the financial information as requested, e.g. financial accounts or copies of bank statements etc?
- Described exactly where the project is located giving the full address and post code?
Please note that applications for Community Fund will only be considered if made using the form which is attached to this page. Applications will only be accepted once all supporting information has been received including financial records and company estimates/quotes for requested items.
The Community Fund meetings
|Application Deadline Date||Meeting Date|
|10 October 2014||22 October 2014|
|28 November 2014||10 December 2014|
All 2015 meeting dates will be decided in the November meeting and then advertised on the website.
We are aware that there are many worthwhile community groups and projects that provide a lasting benefit to their local area. At East Midlands Airport we are committed to supporting as many of these as possible and working alongside groups to provide a positive influence to those areas around the airport site.
We receive a large number of requests for help every month, and we try to help as many groups and projects as possible.
Support for local initiatives has long been a feature of our work and every year a range of local groups benefit from an airport grant. The aim of these grants is to contribute to the success of areas most heavily affected by our operations. For example we support local village fetes, art groups, local museums, sporting initiatives and many others besides. Sponsorship can award up to a maximum of £200 per application.
How should I apply to the airport for sponsorship?
All requests should be received in writing (either by letter or email) and should include information on:
- Who will benefit from the project or event?
- Where your project or event will take place?
- What level of funding you require?
- What the money will be spent on?
- How the airport will be recognised at your project or event?
Sponsorship requests will be considered once a month. Please see below for fund objectives:
- Sponsorship will not be used to fund project or event running costs, salaries or maintenance.
- Sponsorship must have a community or group benefit.
- Fundraising requests for individuals cannot be accepted.
- Sponsorship cannot be given to national charities.
- Funding is not provided to schools or colleges for specialist status applications unless in our immediate area.
- Groups may apply once a year, with priority given to those that have not been awarded before.
Where do I send my application?
Community Relations, Building 34, East Midlands Airport, Castle Donington, Derby, DE74 2SA.
To show our support to local fundraising groups we offer space in our Departures hall for charities to collect money from passengers. Groups must complete a booking form, supply a copy of their public liability insurance and a risk assessment for consideration prior to approval. Please get in touch if you would like to book a space, or complete the booking form which can be found on this page.
Coins for Causes
In 2009, East Midlands Airport launched a new scheme with the aim of collecting any unwanted foreign currency or any sterling donations for a local charity, by placing collection boxes in the arrivals hall. The charity chosen by airport colleagues for 2014/15 is Guide Dogs Derby. Charities who have benefited from the scheme in the past include Rainbow's Children s Hospice, Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Rutland Air Ambulance, When You Wish Upon A Star and Hayward House Cancer Care Trust, who have collectively received over £4000 from unwanted currency.