Travel to the Canary Islands
The UK government has added the Canary Islands to its safe travel list, which means that you no longer have to quarantine when you return from visiting them.
Find your winter sun
The new Canary Islands/UK travel corridor is great news for anyone looking to enjoy some winter sun before the end of 2020. With miles of beautiful beaches and average winter temperatures of 19 degrees, the Canary Islands offer the perfect place to leave the grey skies behind and enjoy a relaxing break.
From East Midlands Airport you can fly to Tenerife, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura.
- Tenerife – Tenerife is the largest of the Canary Islands and has something to offer every type of holiday maker, not just those who want to relax on the beach. It boasts Europe’s largest water park, as well as the world’s third largest volcano in the Teide National Park, and with whale watching, colonial architecture and ancient forest walks, adventure waits round every corner.
- Lanzarote – Lanzarote offers pristine white beaches alongside a distinctive volcanic landscape. Visit the island’s many wineries and wine cellars to enjoy the local Malvasia wines, or visit the green lagoon and caves created by volcanic activity hundreds of years ago. Whether you want to relax on the beach with a drink in hand or learn a new water sport, Lanzarote has something for you.
- Fuerteventura – the second largest of the Canary Islands, Fuerteventura is home to over 150km of incredible white sandy beaches: from Cofete to La Concha and Costa Calma, there are plenty of places to relax. Fuerteventura’s perfect combination of wind and waves also make this a great place for windsurfing, while the Betancuria Old Town offers a beach-free alternative for those looking to explore ancient architecture.
Travelling through East Midlands Airport
At East Midlands Airport we are taking every precaution to ensure that our passengers feel as safe as possible when travelling through the terminal.
We ask all passengers to wear a face mask while on the airport campus, and are also taking the following actions:
- All communal areas of the airport like lounges and toilets are cleaned thoroughly on a regular basis
- Frequently touched surfaces like door handles and handrails are disinfected regularly
- There are hand sanitiser points throughout the terminal
- All staff wear personal protective equipment for both their safety and yours
- All airport layouts, including queuing spaces, are set up to allow social distancing
For more information on what East Midlands Airport is doing to keep passengers safe during the ongoing pandemic, read our Coronavirus page here.
Airport travel tips
At East Midlands Airport we offer a number of services that can be booked in advance, giving you the peace of mind that comes with knowing your journey through the airport will be as smooth as possible.
- Pre-book your parking – driving is one of the safest ways of getting to East Midlands Airport, and with parking for short and mid length stays, you can choose the option and price that best fits your trip. And, because we know that travel plans are subject to change at the moment, we’re offering free cancellation up to 72 hours before arrival.
- FastTrack through security – from just £5 per person you can book your access to our time-saving express lane through security.
- Pre-book your lounge seat – pre-book your seat in Proof 65, our exclusive bar and restaurant fusing local heritage with Mediterranean food and offering a wide range of gins, botanicals and tonics. It’s the perfect, relaxing start to your holiday.
- Pre-book your special assistance – if you require assistance when travelling through the airport, we ask that you book at least 48 hours in advance to make sure that we can accommodate your needs. Find out more here.
Important checks before you travel to the airport
- Check your flight – our live flight departures page allows you to check that your flight is running to schedule before you set off for the airport. Simply enter the date of your flight, and your flight number or destination, and you’ll be shown the most up to date information.
- Check the latest government restrictions – travel corridors, local restrictions and quarantine requirements are subject to change at the moment, sometimes at short notice. It is important to check the latest government guidelines in case your travel plans will be disrupted.