For safety reasons, the following items cannot be taken on to an aircraft. Please do not pack them in any luggage, hand or hold.
- Flammable liquids and solids.
- Oxidisers such as bleaching powders.
- Organic peroxides.
- Tear gas devices or any gas cylinders.
- Infectious substances such as live virus materials.
- Wet-cell car batteries.
- Instruments containing mercury.
- Instruments containing magnets.
- Fireworks and pyrotechnics.
- Non-safety matches.
- Fire lighters, lighter fuel, paints, thinners.
- Poisons, arsenic, cyanide, weedkiller.
- Radioactive materials, acids, corrosives, alkalis, caustic soda.
- Creosote, quicklime, oiled paper.
- Vehicle fuel system components which have contained fuel.
- Ammunition, detonators, blasting caps, mines, grenades, and related equipment and any other explosives.
- Smoke canisters and smoke cartridges.
Your hold luggage (items that you check-in) must be below a certain weight and size. Please check with your airline for more information.
It is an offence to carry any of the following items into the aircraft cabin:
- Billiard, snooker or pool cues
- Builder's tools
- Catapults and sling-shots
- Gas cartridges, or gas cartridge re-fills
- Hammers, nails or screw-drivers
- Hypodermic syringes (unless supported by medical evidence)
- Knives with blades more than 6cm
- Lighter fuel
- Lighter top-up fuel (passengers are allowed to carry one disposable lighter in a clear re-sealable plastic bag)
- Razor blades
- Scissors - specifically blades measuring greater than 6cm in length
- Sporting bats
- Toy or replica guns (plastic or metal)
- Umbrellas - unless foldable
Baggage that is larger or heavier than normal must be checked in separately from your hold luggage.
To avoid bags becoming jammed on the conveyor belt, please ensure that:
- All loose straps are tied up or removed.
- All flaps are securely fastened.
- Extendable handles are retracted or secured.
- Old tags and barcodes are removed.
When deciding what to pack and what to carry as hand baggage, please bear the following in mind:
- Don’t wrap gifts. Security staff may wish to examine them, so may unwrap them.
- Never carry anything on to an aircraft for anyone else.
Hand luggage security rules
For more information about hand luggage and going through security, please see our dedicated Security page